There are many different ways to get your voice heard in Central Student Government at the University of Michigan. Formal elections for Assembly Representatives takes place in both the Fall and Winter semester with the elections of President and Vice President taking place in Winter Semester. Even outside election season, there are still many ways to get involved!
If you are interested in being continuously involved in CSG throughout a semester or the year, even if you have no CSG or UMich experience:
- Interns – Applications for executive interns will be open at the beginning of the school year. This is a great way for students to work directly with members of the Executive branch.
- Commissions – Joining a commission is another easy way to get involved in CSG – attend the commission meetings (held during Fall and Winter) to officially join.
- Ex Officio Assembly Seats – The Assembly, the main legislative body of CSG, has 5 seats set aside for: one first-year undergraduate student, one first-year graduate student, one non-traditional student, one international student, and one transfer student. These seats can be filled by anyone fitting into one of those categories. Seats will be filled by appointment by the CSG President and confirmation by the Assembly. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are passionate about a particular issue, have your voice be heard through:
- Community Concerns – Assembly meetings take place on Tuesday nights during Fall and Winter semester, this is an excellent place to voice their opinions during Community Concerns. Sign up for a slot online and talk directly to the CSG executive team and the Assembly at the meeting.
- Writing a resolution – Is there something you’d like to see addressed on campus? Work with your CSG Representatives to craft a resolution to start the conversation. Community Concerns is a great place to start!
If you are looking for other ways to get involved, or you are just not sure of where you might want to help, email email@example.com and we’ll help you find your place in CSG.